Saturday, July 25, 2015

IELTS Writing - Key Words & Expressions

IELTS Writing - 
Key Words & Expressions

By learning to use common phrases and set expressions, you can add variety and interest to your writing. You will also be able to write more quickly and effectively during exams, when time is limited.
Of course, you won't need to use all of the expressions on the IELTS. Ideally, you should be comfortable using at least three or four expressions from each group below, so they come to mind easily during the IELTS. It is also helpful to have someone call them out so you can test your spelling. Unfortunately, students sometimes make spelling errors even in these commonly occurring expressions. Practice sufficiently so you don't lose points unnecessarily on something that's within your control.
KEY WORDS for IELTS WRITING

Stating Your Opinion
In my opinion,
According to me,
In my view,
To me,
From my point of view,
I think
It seems to me that
I believe
From my perspective
To my way of thinking
It appears that
I suppose
I realize
I understand
I imagine
I feel

Giving Examples
For example,
For instance,
such as
In other words,
as
like
that is
namely
To illustrate
To paraphrase

Comparing
Similar to
As...as
in common
also
Either...or
In the same way,
Neither...nor
At the same time
Just as
resemble

Contrasting
However,
But
On the contrary,
On the other hand,
Differ from
Nevertheless
Although
Though
Otherwise
Instead
Alternatively,
Even though

Generalizing
Generally,
Generally speaking,
Overall,
On the whole,
In general,
By and large,
It seems to me that
I believe
All in all,
Basically,
Essentially,
As a rule,
All things considered
For the most part

Expressing Certainty
Certainly,
Undoubtedly,
Doubtless,
No doubt,
Definitely,
Of course,

Expressing Partial Agreement
More or less,
To some extent,
Up to a point,
Almost,
In a way,
So to speak,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews